Red Velvet inspired cupcakes with Port
As Monarch are launching a new flight to Porto in Portugal, I’ve been asked to use Port as an ingredient in a recipe. As I have quite a sweet tooth I had a hunt online for some inspiration and came across people using things like red wine in red velvet cupcakes so decided it try mix it up a little and try it with Port instead! This recipe has a bit of a twist as there’s chocolate in the cupcakes, so they aren’t as red as your usual red velvet cupcakes but you can see the red tint! They are delicious and will not disappoint! Especially with the mascarpone icing that’s on top! It all works great together.
Makes: 24 cupcakes // Time: Approx 1.5 hours plus cooling
170g cocoa powder
100g dark chocolate chips
225g butter (at room temp)
160g plain flour
1 and a half teaspoons baking powder
190g caster sugar
4 medium eggs
1 tablespoon red food colouring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
half a cup of water (approx 120ml)
half cup of Port
For the icing
250g mascarpone (at room temperature)
250g butter (at room temperature)
450g (approx) icing sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven at 180c. Place your cupcake cases into your baking tray, I did mine in 2 batches.
- Boil your water, then add the cocoa powder and chocolate chips. Once all melted set aside.
- Beat together the cutter and sugar. Then add the vanilla extract and food colouring. Add eggs one at a time and then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the baking powder, flour and salt. Gradually add this to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Add in the chocolate and the most important bit, port!
- Spoon batter into cupcake cases about 2/3 full. Bake for 20 mins or until a skewer comes out clean. tip! If like me you are doing this in 2 batches, once you’ve done the first batch it may be worth testing your cupcakes to see if you are happy with how much port there is. I added a little more to the second batch, maybe a quarter or so more!
- Once cupcakes are fully cooled, put the butter into a bowl and mix until creamy. Add in the mascarpone and vanilla extract. Mix until combined. Gradually add the icing sugar until you are happy with the consistency, this may mean adding more icing sugar than above if this suits you more.
- Pipe onto the cupcakes and decorate as you like, I crumbled up an extra cupcake I made and sprinkled it on top.
Now for the best part, eat the cakes! I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as everyone who tried mine did! Let me know if you have any other ways of cooking with Port.